Teaching Hospitals of McGill University



There are four McGill University teaching hospitals constituting the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC). By agreement and tradition, the administration, medical staff, and scientific personnel of these institutions are closely integrated with McGill University and form the basis for the clinical departments of the Faculty of Medicine.

The four MUHC teaching hospitals support medical physicists who are attached to various clinical departments or are members of a hospital-based medical physics department. These hospitals are: Montreal General Hospital, Montreal Children's Hospital, Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital, and Royal Victoria Hospital. In addition, the Sir Mortimer B. Davis Jewish General Hospital is a community hospital with close links with McGill University. Its radiotherapy department, together with the MUHC radiotherapy department which is housed at the Montreal General Hospital, constitutes the McGill University Department of Radiation Oncology.


Montreal General Hospital

The Montreal General Hospital has a bed complement of 417. In a typical year, there are approximately 15,000 admissions and 350,000 consultations in the emergency and out-patient departments. The resident staff numbers 275. "The Montreal General" was founded in 1821 and its record in clinical teaching is one of the longest in North America. Students were first received in 1823, in what was the first medical school in Canada. This school agreed to form the McGill Faculty of Medicine in 1829. The present hospital building was opened in 1955. In addition, a Research center was opened on hospital grounds in late 1973 and expanded in 1991.


Montreal Children's Hospital

The Children's Hospital opened its doors in 1904. By 1909 a new hospital was built on Cedar Avenue and by 1920 the hospital became affiliated with McGill University as one of its teaching hospitals. In 1956, the hospital changed its name to the Montreal Children's Hospital (MCH) and moved to its current location on Tupper Street. Although the MCH is engaged in a wide variety of activities at various levels of development, its major focus is on areas of activities which are central to its mission: care of critically ill infants, children and adolescents. The MCH has 180 licensed beds and up to 8,000 patients are admitted to the hospital each year. Two-thirds of the patients live in the greater Montreal area while the remaining third come from other regions of Quebec, elsewhere in Canada, and the United States for the ultra specialized care which is provided.


Montreal Neurological Hospital

The Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital are housed in an eight- story building, adjacent to the Royal Victoria Hospital. The Institute was opened in 1934 and, as the cornerstone states, is "Dedicated to relief of sickness and pain and to the study of Neurology". The McConnell Wing was opened in 1953, doubling both the clinical and laboratory space. A nine-story addition, the Penfield Pavilion, was officially opened in late 1978. The Webster Pavilion, recently completed, centralizes brain imaging resources, provides new laboratory spaces, and includes a 350-seat amphitheatre.


Royal Victoria Hospital

The Royal Victoria Hospital is situated on 35 acres of land bordered by Pine Avenue and University Street. Its complex of six pavilions houses a bed complement of 517. The hospital has annual inpatient admissions of over 22,000 and ambulatory services visits of over 400,000. Its resident staff numbers approximately 150 and it provides teaching programs for medical students as well as students of other health professions. The hospital opened in 1894. Over the years, it has expanded its physical complex to accommodate its clinical, teaching and research activities. The hospital established a Research Institute in 1981 in order to coordinate what is one of the largest hospital-based research programs in Canada.


Sir Mortimer B. Davis Jewish General Hospital

The Sir Mortimer B. Davis Jewish General Hospital is an acute care hospital of 637 beds to which 19,000 patients are admitted in a typical year. During this same period it provides about 276,000 consultations in its emergency and outpatient departments. In addition to extensive research activities that are housed in modern buildings, the hospital supports a large geographic full-time staff to carry out its teaching responsibilities to 125 residents as well as undergraduate students. Founded in 1934, the hospital grew from 150 beds to its present size in a series of expansion programs which also saw the establish-ment of tertiary care programs in neurosciences and vascular surgery. The Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research and the Institute of Community and Family Psychiatry were established in 1968.